The All Ceylon Jamiyyathul Ulama in a statement yesterday requested all Muslims in the country to follow the guidelines given below in regard to the forthcoming General Elections.
1. As we believe that everything is happening according to the will of Allah, we should similarly believe the decision of the General Elections also happens according to the will of Allah.
2. As we believe that the success of this world and the hereafter lies in following the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam), we should bear the same in our minds even during the times of elections and act accordingly. Our biggest weapon is Dua (Invocation). Therefore, excessive prayers should be made for peace and harmony in the country. We should also engage in good deeds that would bring the help of Allah.
3. Many different political parties may compete in an election in a democratic country. It is the right of an individual to support any candidate of his choice. We Muslims should use the voting rights in a beneficial manner and should not be careless at the time of voting.
4. Muslims should keep away from all kinds of deeds that will hurt and disturb other people. Unnecessary debates, quarrels, conflicts, violence and spreading rumors are acts that will damage the Faith of a Mu’min (Believer). Further, it is important the Muslims, including politicians, to secure the lives, belongings, honour and respect of the Muslim brothers and also to make sure that no harm is caused to the brothers of other religions in any way.
5. It is a known fact that the ACJU is a non-political organisation and has been functioning for over nine decades without being biased to any political party. The ACJU neither acts in support of nor against any political party. And therefore requests that the name of the All Ceylon Jamiyyathul Ulama not be used in any form of political campaigning.
6. Since Muslims are a minority in this country, Muslim politicians should act cooperatively and wisely to secure Muslim rights and welfare. Those who representing the Muslim community in the political aspect, should reform themselves as exemplary role models who possess the qualities of high caliber such as Thaqwa, safeguarding Amaanath and a clear vision. At a time when many evil elements are propagating against Islam and the Muslims, the ACJU kindly requests all Muslim politicians to unite, forget selfish motives, stop verbal abuse of one another, set aside all political differences, work for common targets and find solutions to common issues.
7. Religious scholars, while avoiding any political matters in sermons, should guide the common public in following the above mentioned guidelines. Furthermore, the Masjids should not be used for any sort of election campaigns no any related activities.
8. It is a duty to act in a tolerant manner, upon the completion of the elections. The Muslim community should always act in an exemplary manner with regard to unity and co-existence with other communities. The All Ceylon Jamiyyathul Ulama requests all Ulama, Masjid Trustees and intellectuals in general and the ACJU District and Divisional Branches especially to take note of the above instructions and guide the common public accordingly.